Groove Homes

After more work than I anticipated making the Y homing sensor mounting block and making a bracket and sensor setup for the Z axis, tearing down half of the machine, rewiring, adjusting/loc-titing/rebolting, circuit hacking, and other general tomfoolery, the machine has functional homing capability! I ended up using the second block I had made when ...

Home Is Where You Hang Your Hat

Unfortunately, back in October, I discovered that my level of conversion kit for my mill did not include the hardware for home sensors for each axis.  Everything was there, but for a few small brackets and mounting blocks, and the actual optical sensors themselves.  I asked whether the company would simply send me the CAD ...

It’s Like Christmas

Here’s the result of a lot of small ebay auctions last week… Our office manager gave me quite a look when she walked in with no fewer than seven flat rate US Postal Service boxes for me today.  My goal is to avoid buying more cheap Chinese tooling, and seek out good deals on high ...

Shop Reorganization, Part I of XXIV

This weekend, I started the major effort of cleaning and reorganizing my basement on the “clean” (i.e. non-wood shop) side.  I decided to move my electronics lab bench around, and move the mill into the room which used to serve as my storage/electronics area.  After two days of work, I’ve got the mill set back ...

Sloppy Z

So I’m having some major trouble with slop in my Z axis, regardless of how tightly I’ve cranked down the gib adjuster.   While what follows may not be the best test setup, I wanted to at least come up with some way of showing what I’m seeing.  I attached the magnetic base to the head, ...

Progress

So the CNC conversion is really not quite done, even though I’ve been using the machine to create parts.  Still lots of cleanup, fine tuning, and other such tasks to be done. Over the last couple of weeks, I’ve tackled the task of buttoning up the stepper motor wiring.  This entailed doing some machining on ...

First Metal!

I made my first part out of aluminum last evening.  I’ve been slowly designing the electronics enclosure, and I needed a means to mount and cool the GeckoDrives.  I designed a mounting plate/heatsink for them, and ran it out of 0.260″ aluminum plate that I happened into as a discard.  There are definitely still some ...

Big Ostentatious Power Switch – Experiment #1

I’ve been starting to think about making an enclosure for Mike’s UCD400 amplifier kit.  I want to use my new CNC toy, obviously, and make something really special.  So I had an idea the other night.  In the middle of the other night.  For which I was awake for several hours thinking about the details.  ...

First Successful Testing 1

After sorting out with the manufacturer that the lead screws are in fact imperial, not metric, everything makes a lot more sense.  I had been wondering whether they were, but for some reason even trying it with the imperial settings didn’t produce sane results.  As often happens with debugging, coming at the problem fresh the ...

Y Axis Debugging

Posted for the EMC2 folks on IRC.  Here is a simple test with my dial indicator. Here is another test, which uses my “poor man’s DRO” to show the error over 3 inches. EMC2 was configured with 20320 as the scaling factor (5.08 threads per inch, since it is supposedly a 5mm screw).  My motors ...