Sloppy Z

So I’m having some major trouble with slop in my Z axis, regardless of how tightly I’ve cranked down the gib adjuster.   While what follows may not be the best test setup, I wanted to at least come up with some way of showing what I’m seeing.  I attached the magnetic base to the head, ...

USB Host Mode on Motorola Droid

It’s good to note that someone’s been making some progress getting USB host mode to work on the Droid… I have a few ideas for things to do with this, though it seems like they’re all going to involve rooted phones to be useful.

Progress

So the CNC conversion is really not quite done, even though I’ve been using the machine to create parts.  Still lots of cleanup, fine tuning, and other such tasks to be done. Over the last couple of weeks, I’ve tackled the task of buttoning up the stepper motor wiring.  This entailed doing some machining on ...

First Metal!

I made my first part out of aluminum last evening.  I’ve been slowly designing the electronics enclosure, and I needed a means to mount and cool the GeckoDrives.  I designed a mounting plate/heatsink for them, and ran it out of 0.260″ aluminum plate that I happened into as a discard.  There are definitely still some ...

Big Ostentatious Power Switch – Experiment #1

I’ve been starting to think about making an enclosure for Mike’s UCD400 amplifier kit.  I want to use my new CNC toy, obviously, and make something really special.  So I had an idea the other night.  In the middle of the other night.  For which I was awake for several hours thinking about the details.  ...

First Successful Testing 1

After sorting out with the manufacturer that the lead screws are in fact imperial, not metric, everything makes a lot more sense.  I had been wondering whether they were, but for some reason even trying it with the imperial settings didn’t produce sane results.  As often happens with debugging, coming at the problem fresh the ...

Y Axis Debugging

Posted for the EMC2 folks on IRC.  Here is a simple test with my dial indicator. Here is another test, which uses my “poor man’s DRO” to show the error over 3 inches. EMC2 was configured with 20320 as the scaling factor (5.08 threads per inch, since it is supposedly a 5mm screw).  My motors ...

More Pictures

Here’s a better version of the CNC test, done with a small ball end mill so it looks right: Also, here’s the result of another one of the included G-Code files from EMC2.  Superficially it looks pretty neat, but it exposes some of the issues I’m currently contending with, like backlash and proper stepper configuration.  ...

It’s Alive! 2

Well, the part hasn’t yet arrived from Australia, despite the company shipping it out with all due speed.  Kudos to them for doing that, but the fact is it takes many days for something to get over here from Australia.  In the interim, I went at the suspect part with files and sandpaper and managed ...

Pictures of the Conversion (so far…)

Here are some photos of the conversion so far, mostly the tear-down and building up the Z axis. In other news, the kit manufacturers have supposedly shipped me a replacement part for the X ball nut holder… Hopefully it will arrive from Australia quickly.