Quite some time ago (May 2011) I had managed to track down a telescoping way cover for a close relative (Sieg KX3) of my milling machine (Sieg X3), one which happened to come from the factory with CNC capabilities. The two machines share some dimensions and have at least similar castings, and a lot of parts are known to work on both machines.
Unfortunately, as is detailed in that old blog post, there is an interference between the way cover and the X axis motor. Tonight I finally got around to quickly machining up some 1.365″ aluminum standoffs on the lathe, so I could try flipping the motor around. I’m not 100% sure I’m going to keep it like this, but I thought it was worth giving it a try. It’s a tossup between having some way protection and having a nice clean arrangement for the X axis motor, and associated belt and pulleys.
Here’s some video of it running.