[singlepic id=107 w=340] [singlepic id=108 w=340]
Did an engraving test tonight with some new engraving bits that I got from this eBay seller. Decent results, though I am plagued by the X3’s slow spindle speeds. I tried an experiment of painting the engraved text and then backspraying the entire piece with flat black, to see the text through the 1/4″ polycarbonate. It looks pretty decent – kind of a classic look, but still better (and less hokey) than anything I’ve produced on my own so far. The closest I’ve come is printing text on a laser printer, carefully cutting it out and using a Sharpie to color the edges, and sandwiching it between a front panel and a piece of clear plastic.
This is an experimental run for my friend Dan’s “Smoke-O-Tron” temperature controller that he designed and built for his meat smoker. I am doing a little bit of enclosure work for him to make it look snazzy, and work on my own CNC mill enclosure-making chops at the same time.