Pelican Case Motorcycle Luggage Project – Part 3

[singlepic id=281 w=320 h=240 float=left]

With the new riding season upon us, I decided it was time to try to finish up my Pelican case motorcycle luggage project that I started last summer.  When I left off, the cases could be easily mounted and removed from the Givi racks on the bike, but there was no locking at all, leaving the cases vulnerable to theft.  I designed a locking cover for the assembly that would prevent the release latch from being pressed, keeping the cases secure on the bike.

In a rush attempt to make the part last summer, I had created some pretty inefficient G-Code to run the part, and it was taking an extremely long time to complete.  I wandered away from the machine for a minute to fetch a beverage, and unfortunately a piece of lexan I had been using as a chip guard fell over and bumped the emergency stop switch on the machine, so the part was lost.  Fast forward many months to now; I tuned up the G-Code, and ran the first version of the part last night with much more success.

The part seems to work great, though I’m not thrilled with the finish I got.  I’m still investigating the causes, but I think it was partly due to using a cheap 3/8″ endmill, and partly because I wasn’t doing any cooling so I was getting chip re-melt on the part.  I think also possibly my mill being somewhat out of tram is causing more rubbing, which in turn causes more heat buildup and a worse finish.

[nggallery id=32]

Related Posts

Bike Light GoPro Mount Adapter

Here’s another quick and practical project that I knocked off in a couple evenings.  My new POC mountain bike helmet has a non-standard venting arrangement, which makes…

Bicycle Disc Brake Caliper Mount

[ngg src=”galleries” ids=”11″ sortorder=”140,141,134,135,136,137,138,139″ display=”basic_slideshow”]It’s no secret that I can get pretty wrapped up in projects.  Witness a “small” project that I took on for a friend,…

Camera Slider Track

I have long wanted to work on some motion-controlled camera rigs, for time lapse and moving video shot purposes.  The longest-brewing idea I have had is for…

More Microscope Hacking: Camera Output!

[singlepic id=405 w=600] Apparently hacking around with my microscope has turned into something of an obsession.  The other day, I wondered if I could easily add a…

Epic Builds: Articulated Stereo Microscope Arm

[singlepic id=391 w=640 h=480] I’ve wanted a stereo microscope in my home lab for ages.  In the last couple of years, it’s become an increasingly urgent need…

CNC Electronics Enclosure Work Commences…

Santa’s workshop was busy today.  I finally got some motivation and time to continue work that I started a year ago, but really, has been a nagging…

This Post Has One Comment

Leave a Reply to Lance Watts Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published.